Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Simon Cowell backs animal charity after dog licking incident

Simon Cowell backs animal charity after dog licking incident


Simon Cowell claims the worst day of his life was only improved when his dog licked his face.

The music mogul loves animals so much he is now throwing his considerable weight behind a new campaign by the World Society for Protection of Animals charity, called 'Animals Matter to Me’.

Speaking about his dark day, Simon said: 'Waiting up for me was my pet dog, and he jumped up, licked my face, was happy to see me and everything was happy again.

'The World Society for Protection of Animals struck a chord with me, as it’s a global charity that recognises the needs of animals around the world.'

Although he is backing the campaign, Simon doesn’t presently own any pets, because his work as a judge on shows such as 'The X Factor’ and 'Britain’s Got Talent’ in the UK and 'American Idol’ mean he doesn’t have the time to care for them properly.

He added: 'When I was growing up, we had pets, and I was taught early on that you have to respect animals. I don’t have pets now, simply because I travel too much to take on the responsibility. But owning pets has had an immensely positive impact on my life and I think animals deserve our protection.'

The multi-millionaire star has previously given money to several animal charities, secretly donating $165,000-a-year to an animal shelter run by 'Exorcist' actress Linda Blair in California.

He also donated most of the 179 mirrors he received for his 50th birthday last year to be auctioned to raise money for the Battersea Dogs Home in London.

Anyone wishing to join the 'Animals Matter to Me’ campaign can sign up at www.AnimalsMatterToMe.org

Andrew Koenig Seemed ‘Happy, Fulfilled’ Shooting Final Role, Producer SaysSimon Cowell’s mum ’shocked’ at marriage