Monday, September 14, 2009

Speech Debelle wins Mercury Prize

Speech Debelle wins Mercury Prize


SPEECH DEBELLE has been named the surprise winner of this year's Barclaycard Mercury Prize.

The 26-year-old hip hop star from south London looked shocked as she won the prestigious music accolade for her debut album, Speech Therapy.

She beat off fierce competition from Friendly Fires and Florence and the Machine, both major contenders from the 12-strong shortlist, to win the prize.

Thanking scores of people, including her grandmother who was there with her, she received her award and £20,000 prize money from host Jools Holland.

Speaking afterwards, she said: "I feel so good, it feels better than I imagined. I'm from south London and I don't really get emotional, but I am emotional.

"Seeing Miss Dynamite win the award made it a reality for me. I felt like I could always get this award.

"When I walked into my label and said I wanted to make a hip-hop version of Tracy Chapman, they should have run in the other direction.

"This proved that if you believe in something and you think you can do it, then you can achieve it."

Speech Therapy, which features a contribution from label-mate Roots Manuva, was released last month but has yet to make an appearance in the UK album chart.

Nominees for the 2009 Barclaycard Mercury Prize:

Speech Debelle - 'Speech Therapy' (Winner)
Florence and the Machine - 'Lungs'
Kasabian - 'West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum'
Bat for Lashes - 'Two Suns'
Glasvegas - 'Glasvegas'
La Roux - 'La Roux'
The Horrors - 'Primary Colours'
Lisa Hannigan - 'Sea Sew'
Friendly Fires - 'Friendly Fires'
Led Bib - 'Sensible Shoes'
The Invisible - 'The Invisible'
Sweet Billy Pilgrim - 'Twice Born Men'

hey Negrita album and single‘New Moon’ Could Include Songs From Australian Songstress Lee Safar