Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Quick quips: George Michael, Morrissey, C.E. Hodges, Hilly Krystal, Megadeth


Email this story Printable version Ladies & Gentlemen: The Best of George MichaelGeorge Michael will be interviewed by British authorities on the current phone hacking schedule that caused the shutdown of the paper News of the World. Michael tweeted over the weekend that he had a past confrontation with certain people of interest in the scandal. VH1 has declared 11-11-11 as National Metal Day and will lead up to it with a number of days of metal themed programming. On the actual day, they will premier the documentary series Metal Evolution at 10 PM. Morrissey was recently attacked by a dog, sustaining hand and arm injuries. The attack occurred in England but he didn't have the injuries examined until after his performance in Malmo, Sweden. X-Rays showed a cracked bone at the end of his index finger on his right hand. In other Morrissey news, the singer's upcoming show at the London Palladium sold out in five minutes. Take It to the AltarThe Rev. C.E. Hodges, organist in Willie Mitchell's Hi Rhythm Section, is releasing his second album. God He's Able is a traditional gospel album and the followup to his 2006 debut Take It To the Alter. ''ve been blessed to play for some of the most prominent artists in the world. I've stood beside them as they entertained audiences of thousands here in the United States and across the seas,' said Hodges. ' know what it feels like to be at the top and because of my past drug abuse, I've been at the bottom. I lost everything but the Lord told me he'd give it all back to me if I lived my life for him. I did that and he kept his promise. Even in my 60's people are still requesting to hear me play. If there's anything I've learned, it's God's Able.' The estate of Hilly Kristal has decided to sell the assets of the CBGB brand. There has been much infighting among family members since Kristal died in 2007; however, this decision will bring an end to the squabbling and allow the buyer to use the CBGB name in possibly franchising clubs, licensing the name and images, using the hundreds of hours of audio and video from the club's long history and other products. Megadeth have named their upcoming album Thirt3en. Look for it in November.